[Ansteorra] The Waterbearing Bruhaha

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Fri Jun 20 18:26:51 PDT 2008

No, no, no. Expecting someone to be a walking conpendium of food law knowledge for an entire Kingdom or Region would be too much. Except for me. Because I'm a genius. (People who know me are falling down laughing.) Just kidding.

  Why would you need a Kingdom level officer to keep track of it. Kingdom level officers don't keep track of site rules or contracts or money. Baronial autocrats and Senechals and Reeves do. They simply send thier reports to Kingdom for oversight.

  So if you have an event at Camp E-Ko-Wah in Comanche County, your Baronial waterbearing/food safety person would simply call and make sure of local regs, and proceed accordingly. In the event that the regs are turn out too expensive or time-consuming, make the waterbearing 'unofficial' or ask a Guild to host it, and remember not to choose that spot in the future.

  The report would be

  Yearly-
  I checked in local authorities, this is what they said.
  Each event-
  Spoke to Lord X, Lady Y, and Baron Z about thier food events.

  All the Kingdom level officer would have to do is make sure a report is received and file it away, in case of future lawsuits, lol.

  Most Baronies only have about two events per year, and we all have favorite locations. I've been to at least four events at Camp E-Ko-Wah this year, and I'm going to at least one more. That's in Comanche County, so a call to the Comanche County Health Dept. would be in order. I bet locations with easier regs would become much more used, just like locations with less restrictions, and more cabins.

  I've seen things at feast that are pretty gross and we've heard plenty about contact waterbearing areas. Why are we so afraid of complying with food regulations? As has been previously noted, they all stem from the same federal food code. Some are more restrictive or expensive, but some are pretty loose.

  My food handlers' class was an ten-dollar, hour long event where we watched a video about hand-washing and got a lecture about the importance of hair nets. We had a health inspector come in once after a food poisoning complaint, stay for an hour, go away happy when I *know* there were unsanitary things hanging out because the cook was an idiot. (Which is what happens when you don't eat the kind of food you cook and your main customers are carnies, who have limited options and iron stomachs.)

  Someone once told me that the BoD exists to make what we do legal and happy. Not to limit what we do. If it doesn't exist to make our events, and everything we want to do in it, legally alright then what does my money pay for?

  R the O

Maria Buchanan <scarlettmb at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  We don't have a Traffic Officer or a Site rules officer. If you're talking about an officer who would keep track of ALL the food codes for anywhere that the group may have an event, any county or city. Now
that's not too hard for a local officer, but the locals would have uplines. Reginals, Kingdom and Society officers would basically have to keep track of all that too. It's just not a feasable option.

Traffic coordinators are per event. Site rules change
per site but they rarely change from one event held at
that site to the next. Traffic is always the same as
far as coordinating. However, the food codes for
cities can change at a moment's notice, from one week
to the next.

It's a good thought, but not one that would be as
easily done as you'd think.

Maria