[Ansteorra] Calontir waterbearing

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Wed Jun 25 16:14:53 PDT 2008

Guten Tag,

This goes back to a perennial problem everywhere...volunteers (or lack
thereof).

I heard the head waterbearer on Monday say he just didn't have enough
people to carry regular jugs and non-contact.  Therefore they had the
non-contact bottles filled and ready, 2 per shoulder bag, but they did
not actually carry them out onto the field.   For those who have not
been to Lilies the farthest you'd have to walk (worst case) is about
75-100 yards.  For the ressurection battles a lady who required a
scooter for mobility utilized the cargo basket on the back to make water
runs to and from the main water point to the res. points.

Note,  they sterilized the jugs and tubes between each refill.   A few
years ago there was a discussion on the Calonet about the
contact/non-contact thing and  it was postulated by someone (IIRC a
doctor) that the odds of passing something was statistically
insignificant.   If the choices are hydration vs. passing a potentially
communicable disease, dehydration was the greater threat to the health
of the participant.  Those with compromised immune systems know that
fact and generally plan for it by having their own supply.

In my case, I just don't feel that I get enough water through a little
squirt nozzle.  I have a fairly large water jug with a large pouring
spout that I keep with my gear.  Fortunately the Lilies battlefield is
close to the shade flys provided for an armoring area.   In a pinch,
yeah I'll used the bottles with the straws.  If you pay attention, you
can grab a bearer who is just arriving with a freshly filled jug.  As
Hillary said.   Like it or not they're going to make sure they get water
to you.    The choice is yours.

Armand,  glad you had a good time.  Some of the scenarios sounded a
little weird but all in  all it was a lot of fun.   The shepherds vs.
villagers was a blast.  And to get a ride on Yrsa was the cream on the
cake.

Regards,

    Damon Hroarsson, HE Borrendöhl