[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:50:41 PDT 2008

> However, I understand it to say we can continue waterbearing
> exactly the way we are now -- folks on the list field,
> walking the perimeter, etc. -- if we want to. The only
> difference is that the activity won't be "regulated,
> warranted, organized, controlled, or sanctioned by the SCA, Inc.".
>
> I.e. there won't be an official Waterbearer officer. I.e.
> we'd be back to exactly the way we used to do it: volunteers
> and households doing this because they want to, and because
> it needs doing. We're free to continue doing it pretty much
> any way we want as long as it isn't an official office. The
> new rule "does not either address or restrict such volunteer
> activity or the methods by which it occurs."

I Am Not A Lawyer, but I follow a tradition that makes Bards responsible
for "keeping the custom" (that nebulous third path of law outside of
Common Law and Statutory Law) -- and I have some years of experience in
trying to balance all three.  Take my words therefor as you wish.

SCA custom, especially in kingdoms such as Ansteorra and Calontir but
even including northern reaches [event I attended in Darkstone,
Northshield last weekend, within sight of Lake Superior], is that there
are waterbearers AND that at least some waterbearing supplies &
equipment are paid for out of official SCA coffers, and that waterbearer
equipment is stored and shown on inventory as part of the permanent
resources of the "local" group.

*Non-official* activity would mean no official monies, should most
likely entail no use of local group storage for the storage of equipment
and supplies between events, and would certainly lead to some rather
peculiar wording required for the recognition of service to the Society
for *non-official* service to the SCA.

Quickly written words, and copied to comments at sca.org as a time-saving
device.  I intend to give more formal thought to this tonight and in
days to come.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/