[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:21:11 PDT 2008

At 03:13 PM 6/17/2008, Lady Gabriele wrote:

>Relying strictly on volunteers could be dangerous in the warmer
>climes such as an Ansteorran summer. People could think 'Oh So 'n'
>So and Such 'n' Such are doing it'. Instead of knowing who is
>running it & how to contact them to offer their services.

and Debbie wrote

>What matters to me is that waterbearing continues to happen (and
>that we can still recognize it - waterbearing is a lot of
>work).  Take away waterbearing and we *guarantee* heat casualties.

Back in the early days of Ansteorra, there *was* no waterbearer's
office or waterbearer's guild. Everybody brought their own drinks in
their own ice chests, they didn't depend on someone else bringing
water for them. Yet somehow we managed to survive without anybody dying.

While I agree that it's nice to have waterbearers, the only time
they're *really* necessary is at large melee events where fighters
and marshals can't conveniently duck off the field to grab a drink.
The rest of the time they're a convenience, not a necessity.

         -Tivar Moondragon