[Ansteorra] The "Small Wars Proposal"

Catie Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Tue Jun 17 15:47:03 PDT 2008

>  The basic idea is deceptively simple - two
> large groups or regions that are relatively close
> to one another, but not adjacent neighbors (think
> Austin and San Antonio, or Houston and San
> Antonio for example) would "declare war" over some
> imaginary grievance that could be agreed to in
> advance and played up at court, just for fun.

It's a perfectly nice idea.  Having lived once in a
kingdom that had a nice little silly-minded small war
six or seven times a year, just for the joy of it all,
I have to say that I kinda miss it, old war junkie that
I am.  If you think on it, the once very small Lillies
War started out this way - and the only difference
nowadays is that Lillies has gotten bigger - but it's
still very silly...wish I were there right now having
a silly 'ol time, trying to figure out which side to
fight on this year...

gads, I miss Lillies...

but coming up with very good and justifiable reasons
to defend one's rights and honor against those certain
somebodies over yonder is a fine and hallowed tradition...

but you don't even need to do it between different local
groups which are non-adjacent...
You can have laurels vs pelicans (it's really fun watching
the double peers get schizophrenic...)
countesses and duchesses vs court baronesses
normans vs saxons
exchequers/reeves vs seneschals
random peerages orders vs a local group...

Come to think of it, those scurrilous mangy rotten nasty
toe-chewing rabble in the Shire of Aldersruhe own the
largest reservoir of helium in the world. Do you realize
what peril this has put every Pelican in the Known World?
Don't you realize that these scum-ridden back-sliding clod-
kickers in Aldersruhe could eventually control every
"Helium Hand" in the Society??? Obviously preemptive
measures are called for here before the very nature of the
Order of the Pelican is endangered.  We must fight a crusade
for the rights to all that helium before it's too late!!!

Mind you, I don't think I even know anyone yet in Aldersruhe,
and I'm sure they are all very nice folks, especially to
have little war with...but yes, I do agree - it's an awful
lot of fun coming up with the silliest reasons to have a
little war.  I'm all for it.  The only problem is finding
time in the kingdom calendar for all that mayhem.

ttfn
an old used war-junkie