[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Aingeal clan_mac at charter.net
Wed Jun 18 09:15:30 PDT 2008

Zubeydah Please contact me 817-480-2444

HL Aingeal Mac an Ghabhann
Kingdom Waterbearer

-----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of
zubeydah at northkeep.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:55 AM
To: Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc.
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Waterbearing is a topic near and very dear to my heart. Below is the missive
sent to the board in response to the proposed change.

- Zubeydah

As a member of the waterbearing community, I feel I must respond to your
current proposal on changing waterbearing.

With deepest respects, I must disagree with it in the strongest terms.

While ferretting out the individual requirements of each and every city /
town
where the SCA might have an event is impossible, careful, hygenic, organized

waterbearing is *NOT* impossible: We've been doing it with smashing success
for
6 years (at least) in northern Ansteorra.  I have been both a Baronial and a

Regional Waterbearer, and eared Master Waterbearer rank in the Ansteorran
Guild. I have instructed over 50 students in appropriate measures for
sanitation, basic hygiene, appropriate foods to serve, warning signs of heat

injury, etc.  Events in our area regularly set aside budgets of $50-$150 for

waterbearing. Due to our efforts, it is taken *seriously* as being a way for
group to improve the quality of their event -- good waterbearing has such a
wide reaching affect -- and to make all those participating feel welcome and

their needs taken care of.

To hear that the Board of Directors is walking away from waterbearing
because
of _potential_ liability - and then handing that liability over to those who

will still do this job, because they know how important it is  - brings me
deep
upset. This is ill-advised. This is not the right course to take.

The waterbearing community has been working to change from within; both to
influence "contact" kingdoms to become non-contact, to share resources,
there's
even been talk of fundraising across kingdoms to help at wars such as
Pennsic
to become non-contact.

This proposed does not limit the society's liability - indeed, it may
increase
it. A lawsuit is just as likely to arise from services NOT being available
as
it is from poor service.  If, as is rumored, the Society president has
already
said that he'll fight any interferance with feasts -- which, by their
nature,
carry many of the same health risks -- then why is it that the Board is
willing
to simply take the easy route on waterbearing?

Realistically, an combat event is still an event without a feast being
served.
But a combat event without waterbearing is a medical hazard waiting to
happen.

Please, reconsider this proposal, and do not make it into Society Law.

Respectfully submitted,

Lady Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyyah