[Ansteorra] The Waterbearing Bruhaha

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 12:46:47 PDT 2008

Clipped for content:

>So, (and of course IANAL) if the activity is continuing just as before
>and not being prohibited, there's very little difference between that
>and official sanction.  Couldn't the SCA be sued just as easily for
>allowing it to go on at sanctioned events?  A lawyer that would sue as
>things stand now would probably also sue under the new rules.

Yes, but... Are you familiar with the concept of "deep pockets"? It's
something bad lawyers look for when they want to sue somebody. If,
for example, I get shot during a robbery, the gun manufacturer would
have *far* more money than the gunman, thus a bad lawyer might try to
sue the gun manufacturer, trying to make the case that it's somehow
*their* fault.

Additionally, friends giving their friends drinks or food would not generally be considered an "official", regulatable activity.  Its sort of the difference between serving a benefit dinner and hosting a dinner party.  The one would likely reach Dept. of Health regulations, the other is a Private activity.

Aline