[Ansteorra] Answers to Questions-Waterbearer proposal

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Fri Jun 20 08:54:46 PDT 2008

Chris Zakes wrote:

> At 10:14 PM 6/19/2008, you wrote:
>
>> It becames a must when fighters don't bring water or food to an event
>> and think they will still be standing at the end of the day. Â I have
>> seen this happen many times. Lady Marlyna Waterbearer for Emerald Keep
>

> Y'know, my snap-reaction to someone being that stupid would be "think
> of it as evolution in action" and let them have a bout of heat
> prostration so that they'd learn better for next time. I wouldn't *do*
> it, but I'd be tempted.

Yeah, personal responsibility and all that.  But who among us has never
left something behind when heading off to an event?  So you're just
about to pull up to gate with just enough time for armor inspection,
having driven 5 hours to get to the event site, and realize that your
cooler full of water bottles is still sitting in the kitchen.  So your
choices are to opt out of the tournament after driving 5 hours to
participtate in it because you don't have time for the 30-40 minute
round trip to and from the nearest location that sells bottled water
(which may turn out to be a lot harder to find than the "it's easy,
trust me" directions you just got), or you can check in, make it to
inspection, and fight in the tournament.  After driving 5 hours, you
KNOW which you will choose.  Waterbearers save you from having to spend
your time between rounds hitting up all your friends for water.

I don't think I've ever attended an event where I didn't leave something
at home, including that neat shrink-wrapped case of bottled water
sitting on the dryer next to the door into the garage.  I've done that
when I had just enough time to make it to site for armor inspection.
But I'm not a fighter, so I stopped and bought water.  I've also carried
my cooler with ice and bottles of water to the list field many times,
freely handing out water to anyone who asked and offering it to anyone
who looked like they could use it.  But when that cooler is fifty yards
away and I'm the list herald on a list field for a round that seems like
it's been going on forever, I really appreciate it when a water bearer
brings water to me, rather than having to tell the fighters at my field
that we'll be taking a little break so I can schlep over and grab yet
another bottle of water.

Then again, I guess I could just plop my rather garish cooler down right
beside the list field.  Then I'd be able to hand both fighters a bottle
of water at the same time I was giving the victor the cards for the list
mistress.  Except for some reason it seems their hands are usually full,
and it's not always easy to open a bottle while wearing gauntlets, so
maybe that's not the best answer.  I know - how about having someone
with a squeeze bottle of water . . . oh.  Never mind.

Besides, in our Kingdom our water-bearers are very well organized.  When
you *know* something is going to be there, sometimes you'll count on it
being there, particularly when you're in a hurry.  Remember, the first
word in "SCA" is "Society."  We should help each other out and be able
to expect a certain amount of help when we need it.  At least that's how
I choose to play this game, even if we should demonstrate personal
responsibility.  Our water bearings system works, and it works well,
thanks to the hard work and dedication of those who make it work.  It
would be a real shame to mess with it, just like it would be a real
shame if people didn't offer to help out with some aspect of the work at
an event just because it's not their home group.

Just my opinion, of course.

  Miles Grey