[Ansteorra] Answers to Questions-Waterbearer proposal

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Fri Jun 20 11:34:14 PDT 2008

Helena Dalassene wrote:

> Good sir,
>
> I think what is being referred to is not the fighter who accidentally
> leaves the water sitting on the counter, but rather the people who do
> not bring anything, and do not plan to bring anything.  There is a
> difference between forgetting something at an event and poor planning
> because you assume someone will cover your butt.
>
> As always, I may be wrong.

I believe you are correct, good Lady, and I agree with you.  I keep
finding myself leaving stuff behind, no matter how good the packing list
or how carefully I try to pack.  That's particularly true on those
weekends where I drive home and have less than two hours to get loaded up
and get on the road to an event.  On those weekends, I've even left behind
the boots I was going to wear and all of my normal "dress accessories"
(necklace, rings, pins, etc).  And I have left the water behind at least
twice so far this year.

You are quite right that we should always plan to be self-sufficient at
events.  To count on the water bearers when you left your own stock
sitting beside the doorway at home, or the friend who was bringing it
couldn't make it to the event, or because a water bearer is right in front
of you while your cooler is sitting what looks like a mile away is fine.
To head off for an event without any water because you plan to get all you
need from the water bearers, well, not so much.

But again, that's just my opinion.

  Miles Grey

(I actually headed off to Steppes Warlord this year with a big basket and
a cooler both full of alcohol and mixers only to discover I left the water
at home.  D'oh!)