[Ansteorra] important comment on period camp stuff

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 11:33:42 PST 2008

I want everyone to know I don't think you should buy these things. I think the pictures are a good idea for getting an idea about what you should be looking at.
You can get the stuff a lot cheaper.
Go to Goodwill and Salvation Army and other thrift stores. You will be surprised at the wonderful things you can find. Check out the merchants at events. Our local merchants sell similar things at a lower price.  For example you can get wonderful pottery from Pegasus Pottery right here in Ansteorra and Mistress Kalita will even make you custom stuff.
Recreation  things usually cost a lot but similar cam often be found. I found a large glass tankard with "punts" on it that looks like period glass. Glass from Mexico often is made with controlled bubbles like "period" glass to the 15Th century,
I am hoping to sponsor a trash and treasure competition at Warlord. I will be offering a prizes to the top five best period  "finds", This is a contest for all us bargain hunters. Bring in you best find for the year along with data that shows why this find is similar to period items. Please no more than a page. Your information must be easy to read and picture would be wonderful. I will have a panel of judges and we will pick five things and explanation for prizes.  Hopefully I can get the judges to stay and talk about your stuff like they do on the antique show.
I will have goodies and punch and we can talk.
willow de wisp