[Ansteorra] Name History ( was Re: Nordsteorra)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 13:37:08 PDT 2008

The origin and meanings behind SCA placenames are often interesting.

While the ones Tivar mentions are mostly discussion or were made up
by Tivar as examples, there are many more of interest, some of which
have come and gone, and some of which are still there such as
"Stargate" or "Iron bog" or "Trimaris" or "Ansteorra" and "Ansteora".

For those interested in reading the various stories behind SCA names,
see these Florilegium files in the SCA-STORIES section:
placenames-msg   (110K) 10/ 4/00    Origins and meanings of SCA
placenames.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames-msg.html
placenames2-msg   (88K) 11/22/07    More origins and meanings of SCA
placenames.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames2-msg.html

Of course, if you are aware of the stories behind other groups which
aren't listed in these files, send me a message and I'll add it the
appropriate file.

Stefan

On Mar 23, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Jean Paul de Sens wrote:

> Tivar, this line caught my eye:
>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nordsteorra (or
>> Cibola, or Seagate, or Lupinia) could easily follow that model
>> without breaking up Ansteorra.
>>
>>         -Tivar Moondragon
>
> I know what Nordsteorra has referred to in the past, but can you
> tell me
> more about the other names?  When were they proposed, and for what
> areas?
>
> JP

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas