[Ansteorra] "That's one for all and all for one, pilgrim" (was north ... whatever)

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Mar 28 15:57:49 PDT 2008

Tivar wrote:

> Actually, the Gene Kelly version of "The Three Musketeers" is,
> arguably, the second-best version out there (the Michael York Three
> and Four Musketeers being the best.)

Possibly, but I won't argue it.  By any valid measure, however, the three
best are the Michael York, Gene Kelly and Douglas Fairbanks versions.
Against all odds, the politics comes through well in the silent version*.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

* Yeah, yeah.  It was (at least) the *sixth* silent version.  I know about
the Orrin Johnson (1916), Earl Talbot (1914) and Sydney Booth (1911)
versions.  I've also heard of (but know no details about) the 1922 short
*Pimple's Three Musketeers* and the original French 1903 version.  But I
don't know if any of these exist any more.  There's even a rumor about a
short film called *Fencing Contest from "The Three Musketeers"* made in
1898 by American Mutoscope & Biograph, but I don't know anything else about
it.