[Ansteorra] Nordsteorra

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sat Mar 22 17:11:56 PDT 2008

In my field (Operations Research), it is an established principle that one
evaluates a potential change in a system by looking at the actual effects
it will have, as opposed to the intended effects.

A principality adds no new officers.  (The regional offices just become
principality ones.)  Therefore it adds no support to the actual day-to-day
running of the kingdom.

It adds a new, important tournament (Coronet list), a new class of heavy
fighters (and their lords and ladies) who have precedence above the peers
and landed barons/baronesses (viscounts/viscountesses).  It adds a new
court presence (the prince/princess), and a new court event (Investiture).
And it would have new principality orders and awards

Therefore I could support a principality only if I believed the following
things were true about Ansteorra:
1. All the offices are working well at all levels in all branches, and we
can de-emphasize them by focusing more on something else.  Any problems in
the seneschalate, herald's office, exchequery, etc. can best be fixed by
adding more oversight by heavy fighters.
2. We don't have enough generic modern-style elimination tournaments.
3. The workers / artists / fencers / archers / etc. have too much
visibility, attention and influence, and the rattan fighters are being
overshadowed, and need to get more visibility.
4. The peers and barons / baronesses are too important and need to be
knocked down a level.
5. We don't spend enough time in court.  (or, perhaps, there aren't enough
ruling nobles in a particular region -- too many shires, not enough
baronies).
6. Ansteorra doesn't have enough orders and awards, and its award structure
isn't complicated enough.  It needs an entire new level.

When all of these are true, I will be glad to see principalities in
Ansteorra.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin