[Ansteorra] Nordsteorra

Jolene Graves meraud at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 27 19:17:15 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I don't know if they "sing", JP, but then I think Gaelic sings all by
itself.

So this Irish herald will throw out a couple of suggestions with a mix of
basic elements, which the Old North shares with our new family: 1) land, 2)
people, 3) heroes and bards, and 4) wind...it's just a start.

Aquilo		('north wind' in Latin)
Gelandan		('land' in Old English)
Tir			('land' in Old Irish)
Eard			('native land' in Old English)
Folcland		('land of free men' in Old English)
Tir Cliar		('land of poets/heroes' in Early Irish)
Tir Gaoth		('land of wind' in Old Irish)
Terra Ventus	('land of wind' in Latin)			this is probably
mis-conjugated...Robin, could you help on this?
Tuath			('north' and 'people' in Early Irish)	two-for-one and they both
apply...I love Gaelic

So, bards, do any of these sing?

Regards,
Tadhg