[Ansteorra] "Period Containers"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 16:07:49 PDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 5:44 PM, John Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Chris Dunham <cadunham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Kegs are, at least, easily hidden within a decent sized barrel.
>> Which is,
>>  after all, the type of container it should be in after all.  :)
>
> Keg is a perfectly period container, I would think.

Well, not modern aluminum or plastic kegs, which is what I think the
original writer is talking about.

> Now, whether or not it has a period tap is for others to determine.
> After all, my persona mostly drinks wine which is stored in ceramic
> jars.

Other than for a few days storage, what evidence do you have for wine
being stored in ceramic jars or even jugs before 1600? The use of
cork for stoppers appears to be 16th century and not that common and
started in Spain. Everything I've seen points to wooden kegs being
the method of storage for wines and ales/beers and is where the
volume/weight measurement tonne/ton comes from.

Some info:
p-bottles-msg     (20K)  9/12/01    Period beverage bottles and
stoppers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/p-bottles-msg.html

Stefan
--------