[Ansteorra] How about a forum?

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 04:39:45 PDT 2008

Greetings Quill!

You ask some terrific questions.  Allow me to preface my comments by saying
I am an active user in a number of message board communities and I agree
wholeheartedly that it's a far better medium than a mailing list.

Further, it has been tried once in the last couple years.  It didn't go over
particularily well and the person hosting it shut it down.  That doesn't in
any way guarantee future failure, of course.  It was a nice forum, but had
far too many sub boards for a forum in its infancy.

Back when I was on the Grand Council, a group that uses email to discuss and
debate a variety of SCA subjects, a number of us tried very hard to convince
the council that a forum based discussion board would be far superior.  We
were shouted down pretty harshly by what I felt was a very vocal minority,
but my perception could be wrong.  The most salient points that are made by
those against such a methodolgy are that "some" sca members have access to
email through their work, and they're legitimately allowed to use it for
such personal purpose, but they don't have access to internet websites at
work, and this is their only means of communication.  There were a few
not-so-very vocal members who simply stated that they didn't really LIKE
forum based discussions or that they found them to technically difficult to
use.  I find that a bit ironic coming from a member of a supposedly
educational organization, especially in light of the fact that much of my
online time is spent on motorcycle boards that are populated with people who
are demonstrably functionally illiterate, but they seem to manage getting
registered and posting their thoughts just fine.  LOL

With that background in mind, I think what would work best would be some
kind of coordination with the Kingdom Web Minister, with the blessing of the
seneschalate, to conduct some kind of survey of the members of this kingdom
email list (dear lord, let's not ask everyone to post a yes or no to the
list LOL).  Get a better notion of what the actual percentages are.  As you
stated, I don't think anyone would be suggesting that our email lists go
away, but they could be relegated for use in communicating more urgent
issues.

Of course, many of the problems with email lists are duplicated on message
boards.  You still get silly off hand and unnecessary posts.  you still get
posts where someone feels it necessary to quote the entire message right
above them in a reply that says "me too."  That doesn't go away magically
with a forum....unfortunately.

I don't say any of this as a deterrant.  I would personally be far happier
with such a beast, and I lamented the death and lack of participation on the
forum that popped up briefly in 2006, if my memory serves me correctly.

There's my "darn, it's early, but getting later and I need to get ready for
our demo today" thoughts.  :)

Kind regards,
Morgan