[Ansteorra] How about a forum?

Jay Yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Sun Mar 30 07:22:49 PDT 2008

which breaks the existing common information flows into groups that requires
everyone interested in the new segregation to register for yet another
system they have to keep track of instead of learning and using the basic
tools they already have at their disposal to better process what they
already have .. in one sense, it's simply yet another case of the wider
social issue of "I want someone else to do all the work for me" where the
few dictate their needs/desires/preferences on the many who just want the
information they want / need in one central place (unfortunately a mark of
modern society / politics) instead of learning to use what they already have
available to make their life/lifestyle more efficient with that information.

it takes  trivial amount of time to setup a the *automatic* operation of
built in email client message filtering ... you set up a storage area (how
much time does making a directory take?) then use your email clients rule
editor to make and activate a simple filtering rule and turn it on ... then
it runs automatically.  reading & following such sub-groups takes no more
time than web based .. and since you can further filter, it's usually far
more efficient than any web based system I have ever encountered (work in
the industry so familiar with most of them - and still prefer local setups I
control)

added plus of such local setups ... you can automatically save the messages
on your local storage (again using already available aspects of the email
clients used to read and respond to the message flow)and over time build up
impressive information archives that come in very useful down the way ...
for example my scadian "database" (of the areas and threads I deemed of
personal interest to archive locally) runs back 20+ years ... including the
BBS and Rialto usenet era (just one of many). some of these I refer to
frequently as primary reference sources (computer hardware / software /
networking, harley mechanics, metalworking, craft centric ... etc - all
primary databases gleaned over the years from the many:one information flow
from the internet (BBS, usenet, etc) to my desktop and it's processing
power)

'wolf
... 10 year veteran of pre-internet BBS world as sysop of a major regional
BBS system (heavily scadian centric)

change simply for change sakes is useless and usually has negative impact on
the whole enterprise