[Ansteorra] Canton, Texas tornado

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 10:34:49 PDT 2008

> Subject: [Ansteorra] Canton, Texas tornado
>
> I just saw on CNN that tornadoes have hit the ground in
> Texas, in particular the Canton Trade Days site.  Did I hear
> that correctly?
> Anyone have any news?  Is everyone alright in that area?
>
> Branwen
> Bjornsborg

There are serious "trees down", from what we have seen thus far via
www.nbc5i.com /
http://startelegram.typepad.com/storm_troopers/2008/05/tornado-hits-fi.h
tml

Slideshow:
http://www.nbc5i.com/slideshow/news/16133321/detail.html

Story w/Updates:
Bud Kennedy says First Monday Trade Days is the best known flea market
in the region, with up to 7,000 vendors.

And, as of this morning, one tornado.

"This is the equivalent of a tornado running through Traders Village on
a busy Saturday morning," Kennedy says.

News is a bit sketchy at the moment, but the NWS confirms a tornado hit
the flea market.

"Cars were overturned, people are injured," meteorologist Jesse Moore
said.

There are no reports of deaths so far.

This will no doubt become a continuing story for the day.

UPDATE: KRLD is reporting that First Monday Trade Days is being cleaned
up and will be open all weekend.

UPDATE, PART 2: From Julie Seymore at First Monday... two known
injuries. "We don't know of the seriousness of them, but they were
transported to an area hospital," Seymore said. The first injury was on
Highway 19 when a vehicle overturned. The other was in the First Monday
parking lot, when a person was trapped in a van under a fallen limb.
Damage is mostly relegated to snapped trees. Other damage is minimal,
Seymore said. "Everything is open and back on line," she said. An
official update is coming soon, she said.

UPDATE, PART 3: News release from First Monday... A line of
thunderstorms passed through Canton at appx. 8:14 a.m. A tornado touched
down in a First Monday Trade Days parking lot on the southwest side
where two people were trapped in a van under a fallen tree. They have
been freed and transported to an area hospital. The extent of their
injuries is unknown at this time. There are also reports of two cars
trapped by downed power lines on the First Monday grounds. They have
been cleared with no injuries reported.

The tornado also touched down on the east side of First Monday Trade
Days. One vehicle was overturned on Highway 19 in that area. The driver
was transported by ambulance to an area hospital. There is no word yet
on the seriousness of her injuries.

The storm passed through quickly with only three known injuries and
minimal damage. Canton emergency personnel responded to the scene and
received assistance from Champion EMS Ambulance Service, area emergency
personnel from the Wills Point, Edgewood and Mabank Fire Departments,
Van Zandt &Rains County Sheriff's Departments, and the Red Cross.
Wal-Mart also offered to provide any supplies needed. Extra personnel
have since been released to assist Lindale, the next city in the storm's
path.

Canton will release updates as soon as possible on the three injuries,
but was very lucky others were not injured and the damage was light.
There are a lot of vendors set up on the grounds in tents and under
pavilions, as well as many shoppers. No structures were damaged. City
crews are cleaning up minimal debris. First Monday Trade Days is open
and Canton is expecting one of its best weekends of the year.
- Bryon Okada

* * * * *
Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/