[Ansteorra] History (warning -- metaphor alert!)

D Barr dab32 at cwru.edu
Mon May 5 11:08:22 PDT 2008

Being a true newcomer (having played for just about a year), I feel I
can respond to this appropriately:

>> I too, disagree. What I think they are recalling is
>> the sense of community, even of family that is sadly
>> lacking today.

> Huh?  People spontaneously form into communities and families.  It's not
> possible to prevent it.

I came to the SCA for something to do.  I stayed because of the family
and friendship that I found.  This family and friendship does not
exist merely in the barony where I began playing, but all around the
world.  I know that wherever I go, I can find the local SCA group and
I will find family and friends, even without knowing their names.  I
know I am not the only person who feels this, because I get to talk to
a lot of people who are even newer to the game than I am, as we
explore together the different things the SCA has to offer, and the
different ways we may serve.

The community is here.  We are finding it, and we are liking it, and
we are staying (or coming back) because of it.

Debbie
(no-SCA-name - yet)

PS - I like listening to stories of what went before, because it gives
me more ideas on what can come in the future.  It gives me a sense of
the history and of who people really are.  There is a lot to be
learned from these stories. :)