[Ansteorra] History

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue May 6 11:02:57 PDT 2008

HG Willow de Wisp wrote:

> We thought she was a wonderful officer. I think the Principality had an
> award for animals? King Koris gave an AOA to a dog for protecting a site.
> I really thought the dog deserved it.

Yeah, well, Koris also knighted a van.  (Yes, I'm serious.  It was a red
van with a white stripe, which he decided was a belt.  Mistress AElflaed of
Duckford attached a chain to the grill, and drove it for years as "Sir Van
Gules".)

Prissy's award was actually a kingdom order -- the Order of the Royal
Menagery (ORM), from the kingdom of Atenveldt.  When we were part of
Atenveldt, that was kept on the Ansteorran Order of Precedence -- including
the last one published in 1979 by Lady Melusine.  When the first kingdom
Order of Precedence was being produced, in the second reign, King Lloyd
(who was also the printer) mentioned that he was glad the Ansteorran OP had
no joke awards, because it's a measure of the serious aspect of what we do.
It was pointed out to him that since Prissy Woofdragon lived in Ansteorra,
her membership *was* listed in our OP.  He replied, "Take the damn dog out
of the OP".

The precedence herald, Lady Adelicia, who understood the importance of
keeping the paperwork straight, immediately handed him a pen and piece of
paper.  As soon as he made it official, the ORM was removed from our Order
of Precedence.

Somewhere in the files of the Zodiacus Herald, there is still a handwritten
note which states, in full:

     "Take the damn dog out of the OP.   Lloyd, Rex."

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin