[Ansteorra] History

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Wed May 7 09:43:39 PDT 2008

Jennifer Smith wrote:

>Willow wrote:
>

>>the max number of fields we had were four and they were big
>>enough for fighters to actually fight and not run into the
>>ropes all the time.
>>

>Alas sometimes reality bites us, and the list area isn't big enough to
>accommodate a really large field, and/or the number of entrants is
>surprisingly high and it's either that or be fighting well past when feast
>should have started. Still, it's nice to have big fields.

But we spectators aren't on the field fighting.  While some fighters
might prefer a big list field, I've spoken with several who prefer a
smaller field.  In a smaller field, you basically have to stand and
fight, because you have little room to run.  While we enjoy watching the
fighting, and while having the spectators enjoy themselves is a Good
Thing, isn't the fight - the combat and chivalry of the *participants* -
the matter of prime importance?  Thus, shouldn't the list field be of
the size that the *participants* prefer (within the limits imposed by
the site).  Given that tournaments are often run by the previous
champion of that tournament, it makes sense to allow that champion to
dictate the size of the list fields to suit his or her own preferences.

It's all fine for us to prefer a vast list field while we sit
comfortably in the shade sipping cool drinks and eating cheese and
grapes.  Have a thought for the fighters who end up having to run all
over those rolling acres in full armor with the hot sun beating down on
them.  And run they will, you can count on that; a knight and his or her
squires are a team, as it should be.

  Miles Grey