[Ansteorra] History

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:32:49 PDT 2008

At 10:36 AM 5/7/2008, you wrote:
>On 5/7/08, Rose & Chad <love at roseandchad.net> wrote:
> >
> > ... My sixteenth century persona would not have hung out with a Norman
> > from the five hundred years before- it would have been impossible. But
> > neither could we have enjoyed the drumming and middle eastern dancing
> > because they weren't in either of our times and places.
>

>This, from what I've heard, is the central concept behind the "Creative
>Anachronism" part of the name. So much of what the SCA does would be totally
>impossible if we didn't let that anachronistic part of a 9th-century Briton
>associating with the Norman baron alongside an Elizabethan gentlewoman
>exist.

Yes and no. The name "Society for Creative Anachronism" was something
Marion Zimmer Bradly thought up on the spur of the moment when
filling out a form to reserve a park for the SCA's second event. So
there isn't really any Deep Significant Meaning to it. (That's also
where 'autocrat" comes from. The form wanted the name of the
organization and the officer's title, so she just made something up.)

Personally, I like the mindset that Duke Cariadoc uses: someone from
a different time or place than yourself is probably a traveller from
a far place, with ways different from our own. While I happen to know
that it's the late 1580s, and Queen Elisabeth is on the throne, the
traveller may be using a different calendar and think it's 1065 and
some guy named Harold is king where he comes from. Alternatively,
we're *both* travllers in an amazing land called Ansteorra where the
local calendar says it's AS 43 and Aaron and Vanessa rule the land.

         -Tivar Moondragon