[Ansteorra] History

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Wed May 7 15:40:22 PDT 2008

Your Grace,
  Not being a fighter, my opinion on the size of list fields is
irrelevant.  I base it entirely on conversations with those who spend
time inside the ropes.  The last person to whom I spoke on this matter
is not yet old enough to sample the mead and beer I brew.  Thus it would
seem that opinions on size of list field vary among young and old
fighters alike.  This is precisely why I suggested that the size of the
list field should be determined by the whim of the previous champion who
is running the Tournament, in keeping with any space limitations that
the site might impose.

  Your Grace, like you I like to see fighters have plenty of room to run
themselves ragged on a brutally hot, windless day if they so choose.  I
also like to see fighters forced to stand and fight because there's not
much room for maneuver.  I like to see fighters bash each other with
sword, mace, axe, and spear.  I like to see them in massive field
battles, in small melees, in bridge battles, and one-on-one.  I like to
see the fighters fight well and chivalrously, and am perfectly willing
to accept the whim of a Champion and the dictates of the site.

  But when it comes right down to it, Your Grace, while it's nice that I
enjoy watching these many forms of Chivalric combat, *my* opinion
doesn't really matter because *I* do not don armor, *I* do not pick up
weapon and shield, and *I* do not enter the arena.

  So let us have boundless list fields that turn a Swiss Five tourney into
a grueling endurance match with fighters dropping like flies from heat
prostration (and doubtless every squire entering the list field
instructed to do his utmost to run the other knights ragged).  Let us
have cramped little list fields under the shade of the lovely spreading
trees that force it to be so crowded.  Let us have obstacles, bridges,
and melees.  Let us have spears, glaives, and axes.  Let us have single
sword, sword and shield, and Florentine.  Let there be single
elimination, double elimination and Swiss Five.  Let there be Ladies'
Choice and Challenges.  Let each tournament sponsored by each different
group develop it's own unique personality, so that we may look forward
to the variety.  Simply put, let us have armored fighters hitting each
other with sticks.

  As long as the fighters do their best and behave in chivalrous fashion,
I will count myself lucky to be allowed to watch their displays of
martial prowess and then provide plenty of hooch to fill their cups,
mugs, goblets, and horns during the inevitable revelries that follow.
'Tis my place, as I see it.  I would no more seek to dictate anything to
do with the lists than I would try to tell Laurels how they should work
their arts.  But I will fill the mugs of Kings and Commoners, Peers and
Peasants, Knights and Nobles, first-timers and fogies, and everyone else
who is of age, and it will make me happy to do so.

  In Service to The Dream
    Miles Grey

"Come fill your glasses fellows, and stand up in a row
 For singing sentimentally we're going for to go."