[Ansteorra] Lysts: How to compete at Lysts at Castleton

Sir Giotto di Giovanni sirgiotto at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:25:53 PDT 2008

Here are the things you are encouraged to have to compete.

Your kit.  Of course.  Don't forget the spit and polish.  Looking good
for the crowd is as important as your skills at this event.  They will
reward you for it.

Your mount.  If you are competeing in the mounted events.  Be sure and
have your proof of a negative coggins to get on site.  Your horse
should look as spiffy as you do.  See the web site for stabling
accomodations http://lysts.swordworks.org/stabling.shtml

A herald.  Your best chance of being in the running is by having a
good herald that gets you attention and keeps you fighting.

A fighter.  Remember, if you're a herald, you're competing right along
with the fighters.  The best herald will be recognized in each of the
competitions.  Find a fighter who will help you give your best.

A crest.  All competitors are encouraged to bedeck their helm.  See
the web site for ideas and history of helm crests.
http://lysts.swordworks.org/crests.shtml .  Crests will be judged and
rewarded.

A letter. Letters of Venancy are required.  The best letter will be
recognized.  We've seen some very beautiful and very creative letters
presented at past Lysts.  The website offers some help
http://lysts.swordworks.org/venancy.shtml .

An honor shield.  Current standings will be displayed throughout the
competition on our tree of honor using your honor shield.  We will
have blank shields and painting supplies available on Friday night if
you need to make one.  Drop me a line if you are going to take
advantage of this so I can have enough on hand.  See the web site for
specs http://lysts.swordworks.org/honourshields.shtml .

A desire to shine.  This event more than any other gives everyone a
chance to stand out.  You can look good.  Fight good.  Put on a show.
Be creative.  It's all in how you take the field and make it your own.

See you there,

Sir Giotto
Lysts Steward

--
We are knights. We are professional killers constrained by a code of
conduct that turns murder into both art and service. -- Duke Cuán