[Ansteorra] site for masque costume butterfly wings

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 22 20:31:51 PDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Briana Delaney wrote:
> It may be considered fantasy now, but for a masque ball, would be a
> perfectly period thing, as people (commonly) believed in such.
>
> Giertrud

I guess some of it was based on fantasy, but it was a lot more than
just a masked ball. For instance, from this file in the PERFORMANCE
ARTS section of the Florilegium:

masque-msg         (5K)  2/21/01    A dramatic art of poetry, music
and dance.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/masque-msg.html

I have:
"Masque, form of dramatic writing and production featuring poetry,
music,
and dance, popular in 17th-century England, especially in court
circles. In the masque, the actors wore masks and usually represented
allegorical or mythical characters. (The use of masks in drama
originated in
ancient Greece; their use in masques was part of the classical
revival of the
Renaissance.) The roots of the masque may be found in Italian and French
pageants and masquerades, as well as in the English disguising, a
performance descended from the practice of mumming and the art of the
troubadours. Actors spoke, sang, and danced on allegorical or
mythological
subjects in the disguising, which was known from the early 15th
century in
Italy. The most important development added by the masque was audience
participation in the dances."

A few more files that might be of interest:

Mask-Making-art   (16K) 12/26/00    "Mask Making 101 - A History of
Masks and

                           Instructions..." by Lady Meliora Leuedai
de Ardescote
masks-msg         (61K)  9/26/04    Theatrical masks. Period and modern.
masks-mumming-lnks (12K)  2/15/04    Web links to medieval masks,
mumming and
                                        Masques by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.
Jestrs-Mumrs-lnks  (6K)  2/ 8/06    Links to info on medieval Jesters
and
                                        Mummers by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.

Stefan