[Ansteorra] I know every "Viking" persona is going to want one

Michael Kahn Kahn at West-Point.org
Fri May 23 07:48:20 PDT 2008

Jay Rudin wrote:

>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>

>>How much is in the Longship Company's ship fund? Or perhaps Don
>>Shamino needs a "small" boat for Lake Austin?
>>From another list:
>>http://www.hugohein.com/other/islandinger/specs.isl.htm
>>

>Is anyone else amused by these items in the description?
>
>Engines
>    Engine(s): Twin
>
>Tankage
>    Fuel: Diesel
>
>Please be advised, there are no sops to 'modern times' here. 'Islendinger' is not a toy, nor is anything simulated; it is as real as it gets. Well-equipped for oar or sail, 'Islendinger' (Icelander) is ready for that re-enactment, cinematic, Scandinavian, or museum group that is TRULY looking for the real thing!
>
>------------------------------
>
>I'm sure glad that the diesel engines are TRULY the real thing, and as real as it gets.

You might want to look into such esoterica as requirements for Coast
Guard certification and the like before you mock such an authentic
reproduction.  Then take a look around you at the events you'll be
attending this weekend and wonder if your criticism of the Islendinger
doesn't ring just a tad bit hollow.  Is *your* garb sewn with "general
purpose" thread that uses polyester for longevity and strength?  Mine
is.  I also bottle my mead in modern glass bottles using artificial
corks (even real corks aren't period).  *You* may mock the engines; *I*
will drool over this marvelously-authentic vessel.

  Miles Grey