[Ansteorra] Steppes Warlord 35

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 23:12:19 PDT 2008

Ansteorra,

Thanks to all of you who came to Warlord this year despite the gas
prices, predictions of thunderstorms, and actuality of sauna-heat.

Herewith are the results of the Steppes titled competitions held at
Warlord 35 this last weekend.  This is a brief sketch only; I leave
it to others to fill in details, and to report on all of the many
non-titled competitions, as well as the courts, of the weekend.

On Saturday, after a long day of heat and humidity such as I hadn't
experienced since my childhood in the Stargate, Lord Lochlann Dunn
defeated Count Timotheos Kalamanos -- three-time Warlord of the
Steppes -- to become the first non-Chiv to win Steppes Warlord in
twenty-one years.  The lady he fought for becomes our 34th (no,
that's not a typo) Queen of Love and Beauty.  (My apologies to both
Lochlann and the lady that the pressure-cooker heat forced her name
straight out of my brain.  I beg someone less fried to post her
name!)

After the sun had fled -- 'though not the sauna -- a spirited
competition for Bard of the Steppes began.  I was privileged to
witness the performance of the four finalists.  I am no bard myself,
so I cannot do justice to their excellence, other than to say that
they made me laugh, and weep, and smile.  Her Excellency Steppes' new
Bard is HL Tadhg mac Aedain Ui Chonchobhair, with a fine performance
of a story about Finn macCool.

Sunday's Steppes Champion tournament was moved into the Great Hall by
her Excellency upon the recommendation of her marshals, to the
general relief of the rapier combatants.  After a day of surprising
twists and turns, Don Ingwe of York defeated one of his own students,
Lady Ari, to become Steppes Champion for the second time.  His lady
Vyolante becomes our Queen of Grace and Honor.

Her Excellency Steppes had a busy day running back and forth trying
to watch two tournaments at once, as our Steppes Archer competition
was held on Sunday as well.  After a particularly challenging final
round of shooting, HL Ker Megan of Taransay (rather better known as
Pyro) out-shot everyone to win the competition.

There is so much more to tell of the event -- the humor and the tears
that marked Count Gunthar's Laurel ceremony in morning court
Saturday; the Herculean efforts of the waterbearers that kept
everyone alive -- quite literally -- during the Warlord list; the
unashamed tears of sorrow as a great big Bear of a Count embraced his
grieving friend Master Telbyrne at the memorial service for Mistress
Janet; the spirited Iron Star five-man melee team rapier tournament
Saturday afternoon; their Majesties' big surprise in Warlord court
Saturday evening that led to a two-minute standing ovation; a quiet
dinner with good friends and good food after a trying, tumultuous
day; the sheer joy of watching his Majesty Aaron have so much FUN
fighting throughout the rapier tournaments on Sunday; the hours of
good conversation with yet more friends from sunset until late into
the night....

I will not say "it was perfect", for nothing ever is.  But as a wise
lady once said, "Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful."

--Serena