[Ansteorra] Falling down

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 21:58:46 PDT 2008

Gentlemen,

Perhaps we could find a compromise position here?

I am no novice to watching tournaments, but this weekend at Steppes
Warlord and Steppes Champion I noticed that, even when I was standing
right next to the list field, it was often difficult to figure out
who won a bout.  Not infrequently, the fighters just seemed to nod at
each other after a quick exchange, sometimes hug, and then walk off
the field.  The poor heralds at times called out the wrong victor,
because the marshals and the combatants did nothing to acknowledge
the winner.

This isn't fighter practice, this is a tournament, and part of
tournament is doing things for the crowd.  I'm not demanding that
people fall down.  (I've long since given up on hearing witty
repartee before and during fights.)  Not everyone can fall down, and
as another has pointed out, not every tournament is about a "death"
victory.

At one time, the heralds were trained to not announce a victor until
the marshal indicated that person with his/her marshaling staff.  I
don't really recall seeing that this weekend.  Could we please revive
that practice?  Could fighters please yell out "GOOD!" so that
everyone, not just their opponent, can hear it?

If the fight is just for the combatants, and nobody watching is
supposed to care about it, then what's with all the salutes?

--HE Mistress Serena Lascelles