[Ansteorra] History

Elisabeth B. Zakes kitharis at gmail.com
Wed May 7 08:36:29 PDT 2008

On 5/7/08, Rose & Chad <love at roseandchad.net> wrote:

> ... My sixteenth century persona would not have hung out with a Norman
> from the five hundred years before- it would have been impossible. But
> neither could we have enjoyed the drumming and middle eastern dancing
> because they weren't in either of our times and places.

This, from what I've heard, is the central concept behind the "Creative
Anachronism" part of the name. So much of what the SCA does would be totally
impossible if we didn't let that anachronistic part of a 9th-century Briton
associating with the Norman baron alongside an Elizabethan gentlewoman
exist.

One of the reasons things have changed for many of us is that thirty years
ago many of us were college students and young marrieds. We've grown up, and
with the little responsibilities that have come along (and one of my little
responsibilities has one of her own now!), the way we do things has had to
adapt. As a group, we're physically older, and we tire faster. I can't party
until 04:00 on a regular basis any more. So we plan things for the hours
when we're likely to be awake and functional.

This doesn't mean that those who are currently students and young marrieds
can't plan things for when they want to do them. Go right ahead! Just be
cognizant of location and who might be sleeping nearby. :)

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad