[Ansteorra] Lysts: Lysts at Castleton - An event like no other

Dave Wise wiselaw at comcast.net
Wed May 7 12:03:45 PDT 2008

This event in particular was designed as an alternative to the numerous
baronial championship type events where there are 85 things going on
scattered to every corner of the site.  The premise was to create a single
stage where everyone would share the same day either as 'cast' or
'audience'.  Whether fighting, riding, being support staff for those
competing, or being an active member of the gallery, everyone has a
role/place in the tournament.  So, while the competitions are for
equestrians and chivalric fighters, everyone gets to be part of the same
show.

If you haven't attended one before, you should come out and see what it's
all about, you'll have a good time :)

Regards,
Alexis.
:
>Perhaps combat archery arrows could be used?  Maybe even use live targets
>- folks in armor who volunteer to be targets?  Yeah, that's probably a bad
>idea, but perhaps the tip of the arrow could be "inked" so it would leave
>a mark on the target.
>
>It would be sort of like the safety darts you see in bars these days.
>Just a thought - it seems the Lysts at Castleton has pretty much
>everything else going on.

Well... only for certain values of "everything else." While there's a
variety of of armored combat competitions, there's no rapier combat,
no A&S, no boffer, etc.

(Not that I'm complaining. If you're doing a tight-focus event, then
things outside that focus won't be emphasized. Since there are plenty
of other opportunities across the kingdom to do those things, I don't
see this as a problem.)

         -Tivar Moondragon