[Ansteorra] "Old School" fighters

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 12:43:45 PDT 2008

> I wasn't at the last Crown Tournament, but I've heard the last two
> standing were "old school" fighters. I'm sure they've picked up some
> new things over the years, but it seems to me there might still be
> something of the past worth learning...
>
> ~ Kat MacLochlainn
> Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Old School".  If you mean
we have been fighting a while, yeah, I'll go with that.  His Highness
and I have a couple of decades worth in armor.

If you are referring to fighting style, I'm not sure if we were old school
or not.  Ulstead was certainly using a style more favored "back then"
with the shield out and sword hand held back and high. His main attacks
were straight in hammers and cross-temple stuff and he killed me with
a rather "new" wrap shot to the back of the head.

I was fighting a style that is rather new.  My stance had my right foot
forward and I used mainly body twists and such to block. My shots were
also somewhat new-fangled as they used a lot of cross-body, moulinets
and double-pumps.  But I have been told that when I took Ulstead's leg
I appeared to have channeled Duke Lloyd.

The fights were definately "old school" in that we were hitting HARD and
relying on body position and torque for power.  Many of the "new" school
techniques rely on quickness and accuracy over power.

Still, I do feel like the Finals of last Crown were fought in the way I remember
from the old days.  Two top fighters giving all they had and being, well,
powerful.  Even when we just stood there staring at each other there was
a fight going on between us.

Personally, it was an honor to lose that bout.

Gunthar