[Ansteorra] History and the like

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:22:02 PDT 2008

Her Excellency Kat said:

" I've often been concerned that our fighting is becoming more of a "win
focused sport."

I recall a tournament where I was headed to the field to fight... I
passed my opponent?s pavilion on the way and happened to overhear his
knight telling him "get out there and kill her because if you can't do
that, well, then you're worthless." Suddenly I wasn't having any fun.
I'd been relegated to the role of benchmark, as opposed to a fellow
fighter who was honorable and worthy of respect (regardless of his
perception of my skill level).

That moment was a real epiphany to me - the realization that for some
people the "win" was all important, all that mattered."

Your Excellency and all,

The same could be said for the Arts & Sciences not only in Ansteorra, but in
many other kingdoms as well. I cannot tell you how many Bardic and A&S
competitions I've been to where the goal is to WIN WIN WIN. People forget
WHY we do all this insane research, practice and performance - for the love
of the art. For a time, I too forgot why I was a Bard. It became another
notch on my belt or title added to my name. But, as I began to take a
serious look at why I was doing all this, I realized I had lost sight of my
"raison d'etre" in the SCA - to have fun and to learn about the things I
love. Once I got that back, the game became more fun for me.

Maybe that's what we need to do - take a serious, hard look at why we are
here and why we get all dressed up. Perhaps then the old and the new can
combine and make this Dream something worth fighting for.

Just my two shillings,
Eleanor Cleavely
Bard and stuff
Barony of Elfsea

--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little