[Ansteorra] Janet of House Morningstar, R. I. P.

Sue Moon sue at readitagainbooks.net
Mon May 26 10:51:47 PDT 2008

  Mistress Edwina here.  It is always so hard to write about the
passing of a friend.

My first event was Ansteorra First Crown Tournament and Janet fought
in it.  Of course I didn't know her then, I just knew a woman was
fighting.  Then there was Renfaire.  I went to many weekends for many
years and have tons of memories of good times and wet, cold, miserable
times and Janet and Telbyrne kept it going.  Those were wonderful days
on the whole.  Janet had a great dramatic flair during the fighter
demo when she would pull off her helmet and reveal she was a female
fighter.

But my fondest memory is of receiving my new, first Laurel medallion
from Telbyrne and Janet.  I believe Telbyrne made it and I was
extremely honored and touched.  And I am really glad I got to go to
Squires and Cadets and was able to talk to Janet.  My memories of
Telbyrne and Janet are mingled with with many instances, like a thread
running through a tapestry, sometimes in the background, sometimes up
front, and now one is gone.  She is missed.

My apprentice Aishlinn wanted to post a memory of hers.   My story -
when Aidan was born by caesarian section I was in the hospital about 4
days, and about Twelfth Night we had 3 visitors - Telbyrne, Janet, and
Darwin - bringing gold, frankincense, and myrrh to the new baby boy.
We still have the box of "gold", the necklace of myrrh beads, and the
jar of frankincense. I remember Janet's face when she smiled, crinkled
up around the eyes. I don't remember much else (good pain drugs after
a c-section). It isn't a long memory but the thought and humor behind
it make it a treasured one. Thanks. for posting it - and send my
condolences to James.

Also, I don't know if you want to somehow include this but my brother
Bill, who sold his stained glass pieces from Tel and Janet's shop at
Renfaire, wanted to send his condolences.

If someone could update us on funeral and such, I would appreciate.  I
live in Calontir now and cannot attend anything but would like to send
James a note.

Edwina