[Ansteorra] Falling down

Paul DeLisle ferretpd at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:20:10 PDT 2008

> And I'll fall (pun!) on the other side of the discussion.  :)  I don't
> prefer falling down.  I don't believe we're killing each other, I choose
> believe we're brothers in arms, not enemies, striking telling blows at
each
> other until one is acknowledged as being superior for the moment.

I've heard that argument before...everyone is entitled to their opinion, and
their view of what is happening out there...but one isn't any more "right"
than any other (although those that enhance the "feel" of the event come
close...)
Personally, I think that what we are doing is....What We Are Doing.

This is a Tournament.
Medieval, Renaissance, Historical Re-enactment, it doesn't matter.
Soundtracks by Queen aside; "A Knight's Tale" didn't have it all wrong. What
we are doing is displaying our Martial skill *and* (while we are at it) our
Nobility, Style, and Wit; with all the flair, theatrics, and by-play that we
can muster; for the entertainment and edification of the Nobles, and Ladies
(or Lords) that are spectators. (Any of whom might either be potential
Patrons, or at least deserve [by virtue of Noblesse Oblige] the best show
that we can provide.)

As someone already pointed out, this ain't Fighter Practice!
Can't fall down? Okay, I can buy that...my bones are getting a bit creaky
these days, too. But that's *NO* excuse to avoid entertaining the populace,
and showing your own.......unique....
("Idiom, Sir?"  "Idiom! Thank you, Patsy!")

So, when you are bested, step back and announce to the crowd (loudly) that:
"On this day, Lord ArgleBargle has bested the mightiest fight that I could
provide...and to *him* goes the Victory!"

Or stop, drop your sword (or rapier), and hold your head (chest, neck, hip,
etc), and cry out that "This wound has slain me! I pray you, milord; help me
to my tent, that I may die with dignity!"

(BTW, *don't* use the word "Chirurgeon"....it'll create all sorts of
excitement that you *don't* want!)

Gonna die? *shrug* Everyone in a tourney (except possibly one fighter) does.
There are a thousand ways to make it cool...and only one way to make it
boring.

Which do you want to be remembered (or forgotten) for?

In service, I remain
Alden Pharamond
Ansteorra
(Olde, grumpy Don living in a cave outside Tir Medoin.)