[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 25, Issue 56

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Wed May 28 21:49:11 PDT 2008

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:13:43 EDT
From: Baronman at aol.com
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Falling down
To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org

... BTW- Have I fought you before?  Your not that  same Othar
that I used to fight, are you? He had this very annoying laugh, but I  have
not heard that laugh in many year. No- you can't be him as I heard he
 passed
away several years ago.  I really liked that kid. Showed lots of  potential.
Baron Bors

Heh. That shot looked good, Othar.  Did you call it?

Did you fall down? Right there, at your desk? :) jk

Seriously, I have various thoughts on falling down.  Many many moons ago,
Don Robert presented the question (he might not even remember this) to me
and some other newer fighters of why DO or SHOULD we fall when killed?
Answer:  to give honor to our opponent for the defeat, esp. when done with
grace, skill, and honor.  Also, to show the spectators, particularly Royalty
and ladies galleries, who was victorious.

On the flip side, though, as many have pointed out here, it's difficult to
do so without looking foolish or possibly hurting oneself.  Those of us with
bad knees, backs, wrists, etc., tend to avoid such impacts.  Especially when
fighting indoors or on hard floors/concrete, which is happening more often
in the past few years from what I've seen (mainly for rapier).  Part of what
allows us to keep fighting with minor/moderate injuries and conditions is
NOT falling and making them worse.

IMO, I think it's a fighter's choice.  As long as the shot is called
well/loudly, and SOME kind of acknowledgement made of who is the victor,
that should be enough.  Doing more (bowing, falling, screaming in mock pain
and tragedy, etc.) is one's choice, and should be recognized when done well,
but I don't think anyone should feel they HAVE to fall down.

Ld. Corvin di Fenarro

Checked by AVG.
1:25 PM