[Ansteorra] Tartan Help

Deborah Wade rhiannonferchcian at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 06:17:51 PST 2008

There is a distint difference between a plaid and a tartan.
A plaid can be any fabric woven in a simple or complex checky (generally what you see at Walmart).  Tartans beginning in the 1600s were tradmarked and registered and must follow the rules of their registration to be called that specific tartan and the registration will be on the bolt/role of fabric when it is purchased

With that in mind more than likely what you have if it came from Walmart most other fabric stores are plaids and do not follow all of the rules for a true tartan.  I have a feeling you will be lucky to match it if you can't find the bolt at one of the stores that purchases fabric from the same jobber.

Rhiannon ferch Cian