[Ansteorra] ISO Pictures from BAM Hafla's

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Nov 30 15:03:36 PST 2008

Greetings to all of the good folks of this Kingdom and other Lands
In the spirit of Carnival The Count of Macebearer, Count Jonathan de Laufyson will be celebrating Carnival at the Central regional 12Th night by following the traditional pattern of sponsoring  a "carnival kingdom".
for As you all know it was tradition for groups of people usually people attending a particular church to create separate "kingdoms'. This traditional has turned into the "Krews" that produce the floats in New Orleans. Historians can track these "reynage" or Kingdoms to thorough out France and they were common in the area where His Grace's persona lives--the south of France. .
A Reynages had several things in common.
One -it was base around a religious base. A religious feast day celebrated by a certain parish or church.
Two-  the election of a King, Queen and other court officers. This went from serious to comic. Sometime these positions came from winning a race or shooting bows and later guns in  a contest. Sometimes the positions were auctioned off and the money given to the church commonly for candles. People who bought positions were called "Evergeties" a word meaning benefactor.. Sometimes the groups made a permanent confraternity..Again we see this in the modern carnival. In most communities the position of the court officers was an honor.
Three- Entertainment always occurred around the court, They went hunting. they had foot races and horse races, balls , banquets, buffoonery ant the celebration of lose. The crews organized this entertainment.
The Masquerade was an important base to the kingdoms and they took on names of animals . There would be the Rooster King and the Bull Kings and all sorts of kings and their were lots of them there were up to 23 groups in Venice one years . In Venice they were called "stocking crews" and knew each other by the color of their stockings.
His Grace is sponsoring the "Forest Kingdom" and would announce that Lord Richard de Laufyson won the position of "King of the Forest and will be "Lord Lion" Duke Jonathan will be High chancellor as Reynard the Fox. Lord Lion will be choosing his eleven councilors in the next month.
If there are any other "Kingdoms" or households we invited them to enter into contests with us we offer to take on all comers and will give forfeits if we lose only asking for a toast to "Lord Lion" if we win. . Also  individuals who care to take part the "Kingdom of the Forest" we will be offering prizes of fine glass to the best masks and costumes that portray animals and we will also be offering prizes to individuals that entertain the "Lord Lion's Court". We hope everyone will follow the Venetian traditions and come by and show off their mask and costume We hope have some "treats" on our table and we hope you will come back and share goodies.
Yours Mother Todd
Duchess Willow de Wisp
P.S. As the mother of foxes I will offer brooches and other jewelry to individuals playing little foxes.  I like cute baby foxes.
Information gathered from "Carnival in Romans" by Le Roy Ladurie