[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium files for October

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 6 16:23:54 PDT 2008

Greetings to the Gentle Folk across the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October describing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get this monthly
article several weeks in advance of my posting it to the Internet so
that you have time to put it into your newsletter, please email me.

If you maintain a website and would like to get the version of this
article which includes the links to each file, also email me.

I am always interested in new articles for the Florilegium. If you
have written any articles for a local newsletter or papers for A&S
contests or class handouts, please send them to me.  My policy is
that copyright remains with the author and I will take updates at any
time.  This means that you don't have to wait until you are an expert
or your paper is perfect. In the meantime, the rest of us can be
learning from the work you have already done.

Thanks,
     Stefan
-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    SC-Outlandish-msg    A pirate themed Siege Cooking competition at
                            the 2008 Outlandish event.
    siege-cooking-msg    A cooking contest where teams are given
                            min. time, ingredients to create a meal.
In the CRAFTS section:
    cast-cutlefsh-msg    Casting pewter using cuttlefish molds.
    decor-rivets-msg     Decorative rivets for leather, armor.
    Pyrography-art       "Pyrography" by Lady Lillian the Wandering
                            Artist. (woodburning)
In the FEASTS section:
    ME-Refrsh-Tbl-art    A Middle Eastern themed refreshment table
                            by Urtatim at Mists Coronation. Recipes.
In the FOOD section:
    rec-tim-pray-msg     Period recipes using prayers for timing.
In the FOOD-BOOKS
    Feudl-Gourmet-art    A list of the Feudal Gourmet pamphlet
                            series by the Madrone Culinary Guild.
In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
    currants-msg         Medieval currants. Red or black currants,
                            not "raisins of Corinth".
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    cough-powder-art     "A Powder for the Cough" by Lady Elinor
Strangewayes.
    Scented-Oils-art     "Making Medieval Style Scented Oils &
                            Waters" by Metressa Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    Aten-hist-msg        Histories of the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
    bees-msg             Period beekeeping.
    casting-msg          Casting pewter and other metals.
    Fadalat-art          "Culinary Abundance With Recipes with
                            Medieval Variations". Translation
                            by Susan Lord-Williams.
    fd-Iceland-msg       Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
    fd-Morocco-msg       Food of medieval Morocco.
    frittours-msg        Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.
    frumenty-msg         A period cooked grain dish, often barley.
    Oertha-hist-msg      Histories of the Principality of Oertha.
    persona-msg          Persona development. Ideas of Persona.

Here are a few seasonal files that can be found in the Florilegium:
    Autmn-Holidys-art    "Autumn Moons and Holidays" by
                            THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
    Halloween-art        "Halloween, Medieval Style" by Lady Muireann
                            ni Riordain (Jessica Wilbur).
    Halloween-lnks       Links to Halloween and its origins
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas