[Ansteorra] Don Shamino in space

Mike Andrews W5EGO mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Oct 17 15:57:51 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:13:19AM -0500, Mike Andrews W5EGO wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:21:41AM -0500, Jennifer Carlson wrote:
> >
> > And what would the radio frequencies be for those of us in Oklahoma who wish to listen in?
>
> Somewhere around those given, *if* the ISS is above the horizon for us
> Down Below. I plan to have my rig on and to be listening, but haven't
> yet gone to the ISS-visibility computer. The frequencies given are
> necessarily corrected for Doppler shift, but knowing where to tune in
> Oklahoma (assuming visibility) depends on his transmit frequency and
> his velocity w.r.t. the listener.

Apologies for, and a correction to, an inaccuracy in my post above.
The frequencies in the 432-450 MHz range in the original post, and
the locations given for them, are the frequencies of the transmit side
of various amateur radio repeaters. To hear the ISS itself, listen on
145.800 MHz plus or minus a little bit to correct for Doppler shift:
the ISS is moving fast enough that the Doppler shift makes a little
difference.

Others have posted on how to find whether (and when) the ISS will be
visible from your location; I shan't repeat that.

But oh! how I wish I were beyond the sky with Don Shamino, instead of
looking up at him. And the tales he'll have to tell us when he comes
back among us lowlanders!

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO