[Ansteorra] wine (grape) press

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.com
Tue Sep 9 17:22:23 PDT 2008

Mike Andrews W5EGO wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:15:37PM -0500, Harry Bilings wrote:
>
>> I have a wine (grape) press that needs a handle. The hole through
>> the top of the screw is just under 1 38 inches. The main screw is 1
>> 1/4 inchs how long should the handle be? plachoya
>>

> Long enough that you can press all the juice out without having to
> push "too hard", whatever that is for you, and short enough that you
> don't wind up breaking the press by accident.

Assuming that is a 1.25" diameter screw, sounds like you need something
like a cross auger handle similar to this one:
http://www.builderdepot.com/seo/SEYMOURMFGCOMPANY_BM/138215_AU-1AH_AUGER_CROSS_WOOD_HANDLE.ihtml#

or

http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=2613545

usually hickory, double ended, slide it through the hole, apply equal
force on both sides, around 24" overall (Muscle memory, holding my hands
about as far apart as when I used one 25 years ago <G>)
Designed to turn a 4" earth bit on a 1/2" pipe shaft.

David Gallowglass