[Ansteorra] Post-Ike

D Barr dab32 at cwru.edu
Sat Sep 13 15:16:26 PDT 2008

"> More information.  Unfortunately, it is bad.  Houston is totally without
> electric except for the Medical Center."

I don't know about the rest of the city, but there are confirmed points that
do have power.  A couple of buildings in Greenway Plaza have had power,
water, and internet all weekend.  The A/C has been sketchy, but it's back on
now.  I'm told that there is an apartment complex at Edloe & Richmond that
has power, and a cajun restaurant on the west side of 610 (probably near 59)
that also have power.  Half of the Camden Greenway apartments also have
power.  I'm told that we're on a power transformer just across 59, so I
guess that one didn't blow - perhaps being less than 2 years old helped?
Maybe?  (This is all in the western half of inside the 610 loop, for those
not familiar with the area.)

I'm camped out with my husband and our two cats at his office, along with
about 25 people, 4 other cats, a hamster and a small dog.  Except for those
lucky apartment complexes, everyone else is reporting no power, but no or
very little damage.  There are tons of trees and power lines down everywhere
that any of us has been today (checking on our homes), and a lot of the
all-glass buildings around us have lost windows, but overall, nothing
major.  Someone likened it to "someone came along and ruffled Houston's
hair."  It seems like a pretty apt description. :)

Hope everyone else is doing well. :)

--Debbie (& Bill)