[Ansteorra] Ike Status - Stargate

Terri Hirling thirling at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:10:59 PDT 2008

Greetings,

A large majority of Stargate is still without power and there are lot of
downed trees and limbs.  Ice is pretty much impossible to find and the lines
at the gas stations are incredibly long.

Ihon and I are OK and the horses are OK too.  A lot of damage at the barn
-- one whole barn and a 2-stall barn are missing their roofs; several large
trees are down as well as a lot of branches but thankfully none of
the horses were injured.  We did loose a tree in one of our paddocks
though.  We ended up leaving the horses in the pasture and I'm glad we did.

The house made it through OK, we did loose one small strip of siding.  All
of our trees made it but are somewhat thinner at the their tops.  What a
mess to clean-up.  We lost water pressure on Sat. but thankfully it was
back Sun. evening which was good thing because Ihon and I were finding it
hard to be near each other :-)  We lost power about 12:15 Sat. a.m. and its
still out.  We have no idea when it will be restored, we're being told
it maybe as long as 3-4 weeks (I sure hope not).  Two of the cul-du-sacs
across the street and closest the main road have power as do the businesses
less than 1/2 a mile from the house.  You never realized how dependent you
are on electricity until you don't have it.  Being in the SCA has prepared
us though, camp stove, flashlights and battery operated fan.

 All-in-all, I'd say we made it through OK.  If there is anything good that
has come from Ike its the cold front that's come through and lowered the
temperatures to the low 80s during day and mid 60s at night with a lovely
breeze.

Ihon & Isabeau
B&B Stargate

--
"We live in two worlds . . . the world into which we are born, and the other
world that is born within us. Both may be a blessing or a curse. We choose."