[Ansteorra] OT:Gas Prices going up thanks to IKE

William Meriic wmeriic at tx.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 11:37:56 PDT 2008

In NY, gas prices are far higher than the federal average, generally 30 - 40
cents higher.  A lot of this is due to tax.  That is why many who live in NY
City drive to NJ for gas where the taxes 27 cents/gallon lower!

Gas taxes According to: http://www.newyorkgasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

Gas tax in CA = 63.9 cents/gallon
Gas tax in NY = 59.6 cents/gallon
Gas tax in TX = 38.4 cents/gallon
Gas tax in NJ = 32.9 cents/gallon

In one state in the north east (I cannot remember which), state law mandated
that every fuel pump have a clear breakout of the costs involved in a gallon
of gas at that station (federal tax, state tax, local tax, and the store's
take).

I remember from somewhere that the gas station's take is generally less than
10 cents/gallon.

The big money is in crude oil and refining!  That is where Exxon for example
makes $11.7 Billion per quarter
(http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news/companies/exxon_earnings/).

To put this in perspective, Citigroup in the 4th quarter of 2007 only lost
$9.8 Billion
(http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10534841).

Will Meriic