[Ansteorra] Bard on a mission seeks help.

Catrin ferch Maelgwn ladycatrin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 21:57:09 PDT 2009

Gentle People of Ansteorra,

I write to beg a boon of you.  I have need of your knowledge, and your
memories.  Indeed, having caught word of the noble undertakings of Master
Robert Fitzmorgan and the Ansteorra History Project, I hope it may prove
that my request is well-timed.

I aim to compose a poetic genealogical record of the rulers of Ansteorra --
a Lay of the Kings, as it were -- similar to one which may be found on the
following page, written for the Crowns of Ealdormere by Hector of the Black
Heights:

http://nicolaa5.tripod.com/articles/Hector/hist/HGene.htm

...in which each King and Queen is named with a kenning or an epithet (in
the classical sense, mind you!) that uniquely describes them.

It is here that I am in need of help.  I have walked the lands of Ansteorra
only a little while, and Her history is longer and broader than such as I
could hope to grasp.  I have not gazed upon the beauty of Queens gone past,
yet I know their beauty must live on in the hearts of those who were graced
by their smiles.  I have not stood at the shoulders of yesterday's Kings,
yet I know there are those among us, still, who could remember to me their
valor.  So I ask for your aid, each and every one of you, from all of those
who remember.  Every ruler in our history has had characteristics that set
them apart--a booming voice, or a crystalline laugh, or an unswerving arrow,
or an unusual predilection for marmots.  Well, that one's just a shot in the
dark.

But I would be grateful for your recollections of those rulers you have
known.  Perhaps you remember a certain Queen's generosity, or your favorite
King's sense of humor.  There have been sixty reigns thusfar, and to be
successful in this I must have memories of them all.  I would be most
grateful if you would write to me and share your own, and perhaps have a
hand in how our monarchs are remembered in this particular humble
composition.  And if your recollections and descriptions don't feel
particularly poetic, don't worry!  That's my job, for better or for worse.
Speak as plainly as you wish--but, pray you, speak as truly as you can.  A
complete list of the Crowns of Ansteorra can be found below (thank you,
Ansteorra History Project!).

http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Crowns_of_Ansteorra

I thank you for your attention, and for any assistance I might receive in
this matter.

In service to Crown and Kingdom,
Catrin ferch Maelgwn
Premier Bard of Ansteorra