[Ansteorra] Fox Davies 'Handbook to English Heraldry' online

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:50:46 PDT 2009

HerrDetlef wrote:

> To illustrate my joy and rapture in seeing this find of yours, Hillary: my
> own device is Azure crusily or, a hart at gaze within a double-tressure
> argent. I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty in executing such a
> blazon in graphic form ;-)

Speaking of that, back in 1988 or so I did a roll of arms for all 435
people who at that point had registered devices in Ansteorra.  I scanned
 it into electronic format maybe 15 years ago and then never did
anything with it.  The late Anebairn MacPharlaine of Arrochar looked
over it once and pointed out some emblazonry mistakes which I don't
remember actually getting around to correcting, but all in all it's
still relatively accurate.  It has some historical value, if nothing
else. Basically I did it as a sort of dissertation on the art of
rendering SCA heraldic devices solely from the blazon (i.e., with no
pictorial representation available).

If anyone wants it, contact me off-list and I will send it to you.  The
.zip file is 7.26 MB.

rgferrell at gmail.com

Cynric
Former Principal Herald's Painter for Ansteorra