[Ansteorra] Popcorn

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 9 23:37:04 PDT 2009

Define "period".  Do you include New World foods? Or just New World
foods that were known and used in Europe? All maize varieties are
native to the New World and while some maize made it back to Europe
prior to 1600 CE, in Spain and Italy, I don't believe that that
included popping corn.

In the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
maize-msg         (64K)  1/10/08    Discovery of maize (Indian corn)
in the
                                        Americas and its introduction
to Europe.

I would also recommend checking this book. I have a copy, but I
haven't read it yet and right now I'm not quite sure where it is.

Popped Culture: A Social History of Popcorn in America
Smith, Andrew F.
ISBN: 1-56098-921-1
Smithsonian Institution Press
April 2001

A culinary history of popcorn in America. Andrew F. Smith
investigates the flavourful myths surrounding the curious kernel's
introduction, the reasons behind popcorn's unflagging popularity, and
its ever-increasing success through a fortuitous association with new
technologies, such as radio, movies and microwaves.

Stefan

On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:28 AM, Pukhta 'Pooky' Lovvek wrote:

> Is popcorn period?
>
> Pooky
>
> I'll spare you the details of how this question occurred to me, but as
> with all things concerning me there is a story behind it and as with
> all stories there might be a Kernel of truth...

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com