[Ansteorra] Feeding toddlers at events

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 21:59:24 PDT 2009

Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel  asked:
> There are many wise mothers in this great land, and I'm appealing
> to you all for advice on what to feed a 16 month old child at an
> event. He eats solid foods for the most part and the easy things
> are easy sure... If you have a microwave! Soooo.... Ideas? Please?
>
> I'm taking my son to Stargate's event this weekend... first camping
> event... by myself (meaning my lord is staying home). I'll have
> some assistance from Elizabeth of Shadowlands (God bless that
> woman!) but ya know, any advice there would be great too.

I'm not sure I have any answers specific to your food questions,
however, I do have these files in the Florilegium which might be of
use to you.

You don't say whether this is your fist child or not. There are some
things to think about with babies at camping events that folks may
not be aware of, even if they are used to camping events. Babies need
more help in controlling their temperature, for instance.

In the CLOTHING section:
clothing-MN-msg   (62K)  9/14/99    Maternity and nursing garb.
    While it sounds like you may be past this stage, I'm mentioning
this file because there are perhaps others here which might find it
useful.

In the CHILDREN section:
babies-msg       (118K)  1/14/08    Camping with babies.

baby-gifts-msg    (20K)  4/13/98    Period-type and SCA-useful baby
gifts.
baby-slings-msg    (9K)  2/ 2/01    Cloth slings for carrying your baby.
child-tags-msg     (6K) 10/10/08    Identity tags for children at SCA
events.
child-wagons-msg  (12K)  8/21/07    Wagons for hauling children at
events.
Childs-Seat-art    (6K) 10/28/07    "A Child's Seat" by Mistress
Slaine ni
                                        Chiarain.
Chld-Costumes-art (12K)  9/21/08    "Children's Costumes at SCA
Events - a
                                        personal testimonial" by
Mistress Ælflæd
                                        of Duckford.
Kindergarb-art    (12K)  1/12/03    Thoughts on making children's
clothing
                                        by Lady Hrosvitha von Celle.
p-cradles-msg      (5K)  9/ 7/01    Period baby cradles.
teething-toys-msg (22K)  1/ 5/01    Period and SCA teething toys for
infants.
toys-msg          (63K)  7/20/99    Period and SCA toys.
Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K)  8/30/99    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady
Margritte
                                        of Ravenscroft.

teenagers-msg     (34K) 12/ 1/08    Period and SCA teenagers. SCA
activities.
   Well, this file is more on having teenagers in the SCA.  But if
you can snag one of these, they can be quite useful in helping take
care of children and infants.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas