[Ansteorra] HERALDIC QUESTION

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Apr 23 12:38:42 PDT 2009

The April decision meeting would have been for items on the February ILoI.  That gave time for commentary internal to the kingdom.  Since there was not a February ILoI then there never was a scheduled decision meeting in April and thus nothing to postpone.

To clarify the process and timeframes further.  Please note that these times are in general and there are times that real life intervenes and stuff happens to cause a delay.  We try and avoid/work around issues as they arise, but in the end that is not always possible.  OK here ya go. :-D

1. Submissions get sent to Asterisk.  Her deadline for the month is the 15th.  What that does is give her time to go through the paperwork and prepare the Internal Letter of intent (ILoI) to be published for the next month.  Lets say you get your submission to Asterisk by the 15th of January.  It would then appear in the February ILoI.

2.  Internal Commentary is open till the 20th of the next month.  So in our example we close commentary on the 20th of March.  Commentary is processed and published and then the decision meeting is held sometime during the next month as schedules allow.  Generally it is Bordure(myself :-D) that holds the meeting and we try and schedule the meeting to be held at an event.  It is a public meeting and everyone is welcome to attend.  So in our theoretical example the kingdom decision meeting is held in April.

3.  Bordure takes the decisions and goes through and creates the Letter of Intent (LoI) which goes out to the SCA as a whole.  That is done in the same month as the decision meeting so our example, if accepted at kingdom, would be on the April LoI going to Laurel.

4.  Laurel has a 4 month commentary period for heralds from all over the SCA to review and comment on the submission.  Checking to make sure it does not conflict with existing armory/names.  Sometimes there is a judgment call issue that kingdom can not make that gets sent up and they weigh in and give their opinions, etc.  So commentary on the April LoI will close at the end of July.

5.  Assuming all money and paperwork arrive at Laurel and there are no problems then the decision meeting will be held.  So our April LoI will be decided at the August Meetings.

6.  At that point in the process submissions are in the home stretch and all that is left is for Laurel to publish the decisions int he Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR).  That generally take a few months as the letter is generated and sent to staff members for review and proofing, etc.  Remember this is not just one kingdom but ALL of them that is in this letter.  For example the February LoAR just came out and was published on the 20th of this month.  So depending on work load, number of submissions, etc we are looking at an average of 3 months or so to publish the results, etc (note this number is extremely variable so do not dredge this up and say "Bordure said I would know what happened on XX date.)  So our theoretical submission that got sent to Asterisk by the 15th of January should have the results published by the end of November, give or take.

Now that is a generic high level overview of the process time frames.  Probably want more information that you wanted in response to your question, but hopefully it will help you and others understand what is going on after you give your local herald your papers and money.

Cheers,
Alasdair, Bordure Herald