[Ansteorra] Bard on a mission seeks help.

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Apr 6 08:21:47 PDT 2009

Paedric wrote:

> Master Robin of Gilwell did one as well, current up to about
> 10 or eleven years ago, I think. a version was published in the
> Blackstar in honor, I believe, of Inman's last coronation (may
> have been the one before that...)

It's doggerel, of course, and I had to force the meter a lot.  (Only people
with iambic names should fight in Crown.)

I've read the oldest records, and I've heard the oldest songs,

To follow a Royal lineage sixty-five reigns long.

I've traced the story backwards, in old books, dusty and worn,

To a single Mayday tournament, on the day our world was born.

Many warriors fought that day, but the strongest one of all,

Fighting for Lady Marynel, was Richard of Montroyal. (1)

First King, first Duke, first Master of Arms, first Warlord of the Steppes.

Then Fulk and Mary, Henrik and Wendryn, the royal honour kept. (3)

Then Richard and Diana ruled, then Henrik and Leanne(h). (5)

William and Sheryl, Siegfried and Marynel, Richard and La Rana 8).

Henrik and Leanne again, Caradoc, Amie, (10)

Then Siegfried and Sumer, Henrik, Leanne, and Stefan and Luise. (13)

Stephen and Astrid, Henrik, Leanne, and Jean and Ellen, too,

And under them the Land of the Sun had started something new.

A land of promise and hope, that's been called Atenveldt e'er since,

Roundpounder and Katrina were the first Princess and Prince. (1)

Arthur next, with Angela, Roundpounder and Kathleen. (3)

Then Richard and Felicia -- the first Aten King and Queen. (1)

Arthur and Rosamonde came next, as the Aten sun rose high, (2)

Then Stephen and Shannon, Joseph, Kathleen, and Arthur and Lorelei. (5)

Reynard and Kathleen came next, Roundpounder and Sequora, (7)

Then Reynard and Kathleen again, Roundpounder and Sequora. (9)

Poncho and Sheherzon were the next of the Royal tree, (10)

Then Denis and Samantha, and Deaton and Care Cherie. (12)

For Jonathan of Whitewolf,and for Lin, the Fates seemed cruel; (13)

He was strong enough to win, but they weren't strong enough to rule.

So Deaton and Care Cherie returned as regents, then as Crown. (14)

Then under Ton and Elizabeth, a new land gained reknown. (15)

For Sean and Katharina ruled a Principality,

A land called Ansteorra, full of joy and chivalry.

With Randall and Constance, Simon and Tessa, we grew in strength and might,

And Atenveldt watched carefully, in wonder at the sight.

Koris and Leah, Johann, Malinda, Jonathan, Willow de Wisp. (18)

And Aten Crowns grew wary of Ansteorrans in Royal lists.

So King Theo and Queen Salene let loose the Aten bar, (19)

And Jonathan and Willow led the Rising of the Star. (1)

We still had to learn just how a kingdom ought to act,

But the kingdom of Ansteorra had become a solid fact.

Lloyd and Joselyn were the next to sit the stellar throne; (2)

As wise and careful lawgivers that pair is justly known.

Jan w Orzeldom was next, with his Queen, Kemreth Danil; (3)

For their wise words and courtesy, that reign is honored still.

Sigmund and Sieglinde were the next to play their parts. (4)

As king and queen they did their best to celebrate the arts.

Of the Irish Finn and Sif the Viking many tales are told, (5)

Of their Grand Renaissance Tournament we called the Cloth of Gold.

Lloyd and Joselyn ruled again, to give us their advice (6)

The first king and queen to rule o'er Ansteorra twice.

When Inman and Arrowyn took the throne the Knowne Worlde was surprised (7)

No one believed a man so new could claim the royal prize.

Sigmund and Sieglinde came, and after thinking on it, (8)

To honor all their shires, they began the Sable Comet.

Then came Ansteorra's last Princeps and Principessa,

The only ones to rule both ways, and they were Simon and Tessa. (9)

Remember that poor youngster who we all thought was a fluke?

For Arrowyn, Inman won again, and he was then a Duke! (10)

Jonathan and Willow came, and made their presence felt, (11)

Twice the Crown of Ansteorra, once of Atenveldt.

Inman again, with fighting skill like no one's ever seen, (12)

Three times king of Ansteorra, Arrowyn three times Queen.

Seamus won for Karlanna when he was our newest knight, (13)

I guess Inman's just as good at teaching how to fight.

When Denar and Marguerite ruled the Sable Star, (14)

The whole Known World came to our lands, travelling from afar.

Inman entered Crown again, whose victories could fill a (15)

Celtic saga.  This time he would rule with Queen Drusilla.

That year Hector fought for Rowan, earning great reknown (16)

Stéppes Warlórd, Protéctoráte of Námron, thén the Crówn.

Seamus and Karlanna earned our kingdom highest praise, (17)

By treaty led the Outlands into Ansteorran ways.

Hector and Rowan came again, and showed us how exciting (18)

All the things we do could be -- the arts, the games, the fighting.

Michael and Rebekka thought our future was ignored; (19)

To honor all our children made the Rising Star award.

Gerard and Vanessa showed how Ansteorra loves a bash, (20)

As Bryn Gwlad and Steppes then went to war for a mustache.

Patrick and Julia won when he was still a lowly squire; (21)

With the Queen's Rapier and all their love, the Star rose even higher.

Michael and Rebekka won, with Michael's fearsome blows, (22)

Honored Ansteorra with a brand-new Compass Rose

Patrick and Julia came again to lead us to the fight, (23)

The Outlands did not dare again face Ansteorra's might.

But when their reign was over, no sovereign king came after,

For Rowan won the next Crown list, with strength and joy and laughter.

And she and Hector ruled again, with love and jubilation, (24)

Presiding over the whole known worlde, at the Argent Celebration.

Inman then came forth again, with Athena at his side, (25)

Once more he showed his fighting prowess, known the whole world wide.

Patrick and Julia came to lead the Sable Star to war (26)

And all Trimaris trembled when they heard the Lion roar.

William Miesko, called the Bear, and Catherine Blackrose (27)

And, oh, the the sable star shines bright, and how the kingdom grows

Sutan and Regina ruled, and worked hard to prepare us (28)

To face our fiercest foes - the noble warriors of Trimaris

Kein and Alicia were the next to wear the Stellar Crowns, (29)

Their love for Ansteorra never let this kingdom down.

Inman and Athena fought for Ansteorra's rights, (30)

Uniting crowns from all the world to win this noble fight.

Now who will claim this lineage, who can so excel,

As sixty-four kings have done before, and a single queen as well,

For this was how our kingdom grew, and how our world began.

Next month we start our future under Jean Richard and Ann.

We'll follow the Crown upon the field, or in the revel hall,

With the royal Ansteorran banner flying over all.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin