[Ansteorra] toddler tethers (was: Feeding toddlers at events)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 17 11:44:23 PDT 2009

Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel  asked:

Lady Kaitlan wrote:
> you might also think of how to keep track of him... I know that when I
> was in public with my children when they were little, I used a large
> dog collar and leash. . .

There's a 16th-century illustration at
<http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI05036f02a.jpg> that shows a young
toddler being supported by a strip of cloth slung around his chest and
under his arms, the ends held by a caregiver.  Their use is similar to
that of leading strings <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_strings>,
which were a common part of life in the 17th through the early 19th
centuries.  I would think you could use or adapt that approach to
something that would keep the kid in arm's reach without being
obtrusively modern, if you felt you needed it.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>